The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
by: Ann Brashares


Series: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Book 1

Challenges: YA Challenge, First in a Series Challenge

Published: 2001

# of pages: 352

Quote: "As the fluffy plot progressed, Margaret looked over at them so many times, checking excitedly for their reactions, that Tibby wondered, with a swelling sadness in her throat, how many of the ten thousand movies Margaret had watched with another person." -Tibby p. 167


I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I expected it to be very shallow and nothing special as far as the writing quality. However, I thought it was a pretty deep book for being a modern young adult novel that is geared towards teenage girls. I was also impressed with the quality of writing. It still wasn't anything special, just better than I thought. I liked how every once in awhile something would stick out at me. Brashares included small but significant insights throughout the novel.

The story follows 4 teenage girls, best friends, who spend their first summer apart. Each of the girls has a unique personality. Lena is shy and quiet, Bridget is outgoing, Camren is forceful and outspoken, while Tibby is moody. I related to Lena and Tibby more than I thought I would. Their personalities and their thoughts match up to mine so much. That was part of the reason I enjoyed the book as much as I did.

I watched the movie years ago when it was in theatres and enjoyed that as well. The movie closely follows the book, but I didn't feel bored while reading the book. The movie doesn't capture much of the "deep" insights that are in the book. Also, I'm surprised that the movie doesn't include the scene with Lena's and Kostos' grandfathers. I think that would have been a funny thing to see in the movie. I suppose that the movie makes Lena's and Kostos' "relationship" more romantic than the book, but I think the book is more realistic.

Another thing I enjoyed about the book is the humorous quotes included before each chapter. I found myself looking forward to a new chapter to see what it would be. I didn't always see a connection between the quote and the events in the chapter, but it was fun nonetheless.

This is a fun read for both young adults and adults alike. Even if you aren't always a fan of modern young adult fiction, I encourage you to try it if it seems at all like something you could handle reading. You just might be surprised like I was.


Have you reviewed this? Let me know and I'd be happy to post yours.

posted under , , , |

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers

About Me

My photo
Wife, mother, bookworm.
This is a place where you can read book reviews, discover links, and learn about the reading challenges in which I'm taking part.

Library



my read shelf:
Andrea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Annual Goal

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Andrea has read 0 books toward her goal of 60 books.
hide

Recent Comments