Neverwhere

Neverwhere


By: Neil Gaiman

Challenge:  Once Upon a Time

Published: 1996

# of pages: 370

Quote: "The marquis had told them where to wait, and then he had slipped away. From somewhere, Richard heard a baby begin to cry. The marquis slipped out of an exit-only door and walked toward them. He was chewing on a piece of candy."
Official description:When Richard Mayhew stops one day to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London pavement, his life is forever altered, for he finds himself propelled into an alternative reality that exists in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere.
My opinion:  It took a little while, but I ended up loving this book!  It's hard to explain why, but I loved the writing, the setting, and the characters.  It was full of adventure, but wasn't confusing or lacking in other departments.  There was a feeling of camaraderie between the characters that really drew me in.  It's a unique quest plot.  There's humor, but also danger, sadness, loyalty, betrayal, and violence.

It's hard to pick a favorite character.  Door is one of the main characters and she is a little harder to get to know.  But she's strong and has so many loyal friends who want to help her.  Richard is great, he behaves just as you'd expect and I love the parts he plays in Door's quest.  And the marquis is a fascinating character.  He's my favorite type of character....not all good, but not all bad.  Hard to figure out.

I recommend this book to fans of Gaiman, fans of dark fantasy or urban fantasy, and readers who are interested in reading a unique take on a quest plot.

Why I gave this book 5/5 stars: Great descriptions, likable characters, humorous, unique twist on traditional plot

Other reviews:
things mean a lot

Have you reviewed this? Let me know and I'd be happy to post yours as well.

posted under , , |

1 comment:

Sarah Bible said...

I'd agree that Door is one of the characters that was hard to get to know. But I really like Hunter, despite what happens, and the marquis is pretty great. He's one of those characters you probably shouldn't like because he's usually looking out for his best interests, but you can't help but like him because he is true to his word.

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers

About Me

My photo
Wife, mother, bookworm.
This is a place where you can read book reviews, discover links, and learn about the reading challenges in which I'm taking part.

Library



my read shelf:
Andrea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Annual Goal

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Andrea has read 0 books toward her goal of 60 books.
hide

Recent Comments