Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary

by: Helen Fielding

Published: 1996


Once again, a book I picked up at a used book sale to read for fun! I'd never seen the movie either, but was curious about the story. It seemed like it would be an easy read and sure enough, it went quickly.

The story is about Bridget Jones, a single woman who decides to journal her life for a year. She makes up several New Years' resolutions and keeps track of her "progress" in the journal. She wants to drink less, quit smoking, lose weight, and start a serious relationship with a good guy to name a few of the resolutions.

The reader is immediately pulled into the story because of the humorous point of view. Bridget is an independent woman, but also has a need to please people and a hard time saying "no." That puts her in countless awkward situations, but also makes her an endearing character. The book is funny, but there's also a serious undertone. Bridget's life is shaken by family problems as well as personal problems. She very much wants certain things and it's hard for her when they always seem out of reach.

I think it's safe to say that this is based off of the novel Pride and Prejudice (including a character named Mr. Darcy!). I liked this modern twist and recommend it to adults who want an easy read, something funny and (for the most part) lighthearted, fans of chick lit, and those who enjoyed the movie. Which, by the way, is almost as good as the book.



Have you reviewed this? Let me know and I'd be happy to post yours as well.

posted under , , |

4 comments:

Hannah Stoneham said...

It is such a funny read isn't it? I really enjoyed it when it forst came out many moons ago. One thing that I do find interesting though is how the film made Bridget far more sweet and far less lonely than she is in the book. She is very funny in both though... You may also enjoy The Edge of Reason - the sequal - it is not quite as good as the original in my opinion but still a good read

thanks for sharing

Hannah

Andi said...

I read this one a while ago and I really liked it. The second one was pretty funny as well, though I didn't care for the second movie at all.

Glad you liked it!

Ana S. said...

You know, this is one of those books I had decided weren't for me for really no good reason at all. I think I definitely need to rethink that.

Andrea said...

Hannah, it was interesting to see the difference in the movie and book. I agree that the movie Bridget seems softer and not quite as "take charge" and confident.

Andi, I was surprised at how much I liked it! I usually don't spend time reading chick lit, but this was worth it. Not sure if I'll be reading the second one. Although it would be a good vacation book...

Nymeth, I was kind of the same way though. The only reason I read it is because I found it at a book sale for $1. I wouldn't have even checked it out from the library! lol I was glad I read it though, it was entertaining and a nice break.

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers

About Me

My photo
Wife, mother, bookworm.
This is a place where you can read book reviews, discover links, and learn about the reading challenges in which I'm taking part.

Library



my read shelf:
Andrea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Annual Goal

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Andrea has read 0 books toward her goal of 60 books.
hide

Recent Comments